Wednesday, November 22, 2006

 

I support Buy Nothing Day

"Our consumptive, hectic lifestyles are taking their toll not only on the natural world, but our own lives as well! We consume all kinds of goods, services and entertainment only to find that there's no time left to really savor and enjoy our friends, family and life. We work longer and harder to make even more money to buy us things that bring even less satisfaction to our lives. Plus, buying all of this stuff takes even more natural resources and energy that pollutes and depletes our world that much faster!"

This quote and the graphic are from Roger Wendell's webpage on Buy Nothing Day and I agree with it completely. Now I know as someone who tries to live frugally and save money whenever possible, I should embrace Black Friday and the deals it brings, but I just can't do it. I wrote last November about how Black Friday affects my family, but I was thinking even more about the holiday season this year. I keep thinking that it seems as if the holidays are more and more about consumerism and then I thought back to my childhood and realized that this has been going on for years! When I was little I didn't like the family get-together part of the holidays because I was extremely shy and seeing all these relatives that I barely knew just terrified me. My family is not religious, so I didn't relate to that part of Christmas. Christmas for me was all about the stuff, what was I going to get and how much of it would there be. It seems I've been a consumerist since I was a small child and now I'm indignant, grrr!!

So now in order to help exorcise my demons, I embrace Buy Nothing Day. I feel a little better.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jessie said...

I could not agree more. People spend so much time thinking what to buy and what they are going to get, it has almost turned into a holiday of greed. Giving does not have to mean loading up a mini van full of presents.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

I completely disagree. If my employer said I HAD to be to work on Thanksgiving, I'd find another employer. I have always been given a choice whether I want to work those days. Denny's even paid me time and a half. I love Black Friday. It's the American dream!

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Hustlermoneyblog.com said...

interesting webiste...I support Buy Nothing Day...although whatever I buy usually go back on Ebay.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Town Music said...

So, how'd that go for you?

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Bryan said...

Hmmm... I haven't heard that before, but I'd like to try this concept of "Buy Nothing Day"

This would save my family some money!

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home