Monday, August 28, 2006

 

Ice cream, Grapes, and Black Widows


A very helpful article from Kiplingers on buying an ice cream maker

Container gardening from Seattle Times, this one is too late to be helpful, but on the other hand I'm waaay early for next year's gardening. I'm thinking I want to do container gardening next year instead of a garden plot like I have now.

Biodegradable dinnerware. They're made from cornstarch, potatos and limestone, if you put them in the compost they turn to organic matter in 180 days. If you throw them in the trash, they take up less space in a landfill. Its an interesting concept, but aren't paper plates already biodegradable? And we're allowed to put used paper plates in our yard waste bins now so I'm not sure where the market is for biodegradable dinnerware.

Here's an article on saving when buying organic: buy in bulk, buy at farmer's markets, and grow your own.

And lastly, this lady found a black widow in her grapes, I love the last sentence of the article, the zookeeper says: "We'll feed her, love her and put her on display."

2 Comments:

Blogger Tiredbuthappy said...

You're right about paper plates, except I think they're full of evit things like bleach that you really wouldn't want in your soil, water, air, etc.

Also, now you can get biodegradeable disposable cutlery, so you're not using still-around-for-our-descendents-to-deal-with plastic ones.

About the container garden--I have a neighbor who has a fabulous container garden in his driveway. He has peppers, eggplants, collards, and the usual things like tomatoes. I tried last year and my tomato plants hardly produced anything and I felt like I had to water them constantly. I had much better luck growing things in the ground this year. But my neighbor with the fantabulous container food farm says that when his tomatoes are fruiting he puts the bottom of the pot in a basin of water. If I do a container garden again I'm going to try that.

But I confess, I didn't follow your link to read the original article, so maybe they said that.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: the "black widow in her grapes"..."We'll feed her, love her, and put her on display." reminds me of comments that should be made of celebrity's children. I know that's tacky, but really true don't you think?
GREAT BLOG.

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home