Tuesday, August 08, 2006

 

Grocery Savings Challenge August #1

A few weeks ago there was an article in either the Seattle Times or PI, I can't remember, that compared prices at the four major local grocery stores, Albertsons, Safeway, QFC, and Fred Meyer. Fred Meyer came in with the lowest prices overall followed by Safeway, then Albertsons and QFC. The odd thing is that QFC and Fred Meyer are both owned by Kroger, yet QFC is considered "upscale" so the same Kroger brand costs a lot more at QFC. And people will actually pay these inflated prices, unbelievable. Anyway, the article confirmed what I had always suspected; that Fred Meyer is cheaper than Safeway. So yesterday when I did the first grocery shop of the month ( I try to go only twice a month cuz I hate grocery shopping), I went to Fred Meyer and Cash & Carry; C&C is really a restaurant food/kitchen supply store, they sell in bulk but they are open to the public and don't charge a membership fee. Today I compared what I spent with Safeway's prices and I saved a nice chunk of change:

Fred Meyer $33.92
Safeway equivalent $43.24

Cash & Carry $26.93
Safeway $49.78

Total savings: $32.71

Total Grocery Savings Challenge to date: $118.51

I chose to compare with Safeway because there is one located 2 blocks from my house and its where I used to shop before I started reading pf blogs and became money-conscious, thank you everybody!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home