Thursday, May 04, 2006

 

Living Green Below Your Means


Recently I went to a site called New American Dream. I haven't gone all the way through it yet, but it looks like an interesting resource for living greenly which is something I'm trying to work on. I discovered the site through work, my boss and I watched a webinar on incorporating green purchasing practices and the speaker works at NAD. According to their site "The Center for a New American Dream helps Americans consume responsibly to protect the environment, enhance quality of life, and promote social justice."

Living Green Below Your Means is a column I found on the site. Its a semi-regular column about saving money and the environment. This weeks article is on saving costs while planning a wedding. I've never been a bride, but the tips all sounded pretty good to me: prioritize, buy items that can be reused, let friends and family give the gift of time, etc. These were all things that I remember my sister doing when she got married and it saved a lot of money for her. Previous columns were about gardening frugally and using green resources for your utilities.

I also found this on the site:

Six Tips to Help You Simplify Your Lifeā€¦
1. Make a List of Five Things Most Important to You because you can't achieve a goal if you don't have one.
2. Tune Out, Tune In take short breaks from cell phones, computer to talk a walk, meditate etc in order to refresh yourself.
3. Spend Time, Not Money instead of buying an expensive gift, try gifts of time such as a picnic or a night of board game playing. You'll create memories and save on finance charges.
4. Think Outside the Cubicle regain boundaries over your work life by not staying late, don't take work home and make sure you take that lunch break.
5. Count Your Blessings
6. Join with Others find friends that share your values and join a study group or a book group. Or start a blog!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home