Monday, March 20, 2006

 

A Pox on You Washington Mutual, I've Switched Banks



Three strikes and you're out!!! For the 2nd time in a month, Washington Mutual refused a deposit. This time they gave me a reason I could accept, which is that they do not accept made over checks. However!!! They should have told me that last month when they refused the deposit instead of going on about fraud. So why you ask am I switching banks if I found the reason not to accept the deposit to be acceptable? Well I will tell you, I had my bf with me this time so they could "verify my relationship to the person who made over the check". We asked if he could just deposit the check himself into my account. NO!!! His name must be on your account and he must have an account with Washington Mutual!!! GRRRRR, I say!!! We left and made the transaction as per usual at the cash machine. This was last Thursday, I emailed the customer service rep who responded to my last complaint and have not received a reply. And it being over the weekend does not count since she emailed me on a Saturday last time.

If you're keeping track, Washington Mutual has, in the space of 4 short weeks, refused 2 deposits and lost another one.

Today I went to Homestreet Bank and opened up a checking and savings account with them. I wanted to do business with a bank that was walking distance from my house, the choice was Homestreet or Bank of America. I received a free duffel bag for opening the account (very useful for camping) I learned that they have coffee and tea available every day and treats on Friday and I learned that I can make money. Homestreet will pay $5 for my old debit card and up to $10 for my old checks. And they will shred them for me. Woo Hoo, I like that bit of customer service. And speaking of customer service, everyone who came in the bank while I was there knew the tellers by name and it was just a very nice atmosphere overall. Also my new checking account is interest bearing as well as they savings. The rate sucks but its more than at my old bank. So far I'm very pleased with my new bank, but its only been 3 hours.

4 Comments:

Blogger OnlyExaggerationsAreTrue said...

Well, would it be OK if maybe the pox avoided my particular branch in Alameda , CA? I hope the homies at Homestreet treat you well.

Keep us posted!

~vici

7:54 PM  
Anonymous jonathan radande said...

Just curious, why did you choose Homestreet bank over Bank of America? Does Homestreet bank have branches nationwide?

I became a member of Bank of America because WAMU didn't have any branches in Pennsylvania; I ended up paying a lot in ATM fees.

Just make sure that your money is easily accessible at your new bank.

7:16 AM  
Blogger kassy said...

I went with Homestreet because I wanted to go with a smaller bank vs. a national bank, Homestreet is local to the Pacific NW. Also my parents bank at Homestreet and gave it a good recommendation. Homestreet has less fees than BOA and I'll earn interest on my checking account. I know that BOA has an interest bearing checking account but you have to have 10k in the bank to avoid the monthly service fee. BOA seems to have a lot of fees listed on their website. I do have a credit card with BOA though and I do think they are one of the best when it comes to online security.

It was a hard decision for me to switch from WAMU, I remember their commercials when I was little, the announcer always said they were a friend of the family and that was why I chose them 10 years ago. But they've grown quite huge since then and they've lost that hometown customer service they used to have.

thanks for stopping by my blog :)

kassy

12:09 PM  
Blogger kassy said...

dear vici, for you i hope you don't get poxxed. i should have another update this weekend.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home