Thursday, February 16, 2006

 

My bank wouldn't accept my deposit

Today I walked to my bank to deposit my bf's paycheck. Since I'm paying all the expenses, he makes over his check to me and I give him cash back. Today I went into the bank instead of using the atm because it was cold outside. The teller said that since he did not know my relationship to either the company who wrote the check or the person the check was made out to that he could not deposit the check because of fraud issues. I explained that I had done this before at other branches, he wanted to know how recently and I said every 2 weeks. He said he could not accept my deposit. All the while in my head I was thinking that the very transaction he said he couldn't do, I could do outside on the ATM. He then said that I would have to go to the bank on the check, cash the check there and then come back to my bank to make the deposit. That was when I went outside and used the ATM. I understand that banks have to be careful of fraud, but I'm still having issues with this:

1. Unless the teller know me personally, there is no way in the world that he could possibly know my relationship to the person the check is made out to or the company that made out the check.
2. If I was going to commit fraud, why would I go to my own bank to do so?
3. Why shouldn't I be able to do inside what I can do and did do so easily outside?

The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth, I don't like being accused of possibly trying to perpetrate a fraud especially when I've been a customer of this bank for 10 years. GRRRR. I did send an email to complain when I walked back to work, but I doubt I'll be getting a free toaster any time soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger OnlyExaggerationsAreTrue said...

I was recently "red zoned" by my bank. They called me to ask what was the nature of a deposit I made to an ATM. I said, "what?"... "It's a deposit. I run a small business. I got paid for a job. It's a deposit. It's money." Apparently a red flag went up for them cause I am a lone guy, living in an economically mixed (read partially black) part of town, my last name ends in a vowel and I make occasional large-ish deposits to an ATM machine.

I just dumped em and have moved my vast crack-monies to good ole WAMU. Never been happier with bank service. Free checking, online bill paying, easy web interface and I was signed up, in person, by the high priestess of the Alameda Washington Mutual branch... Mrs. Jade Wong, a classic 22 year veteran of that office who moved here 22 years ago from China.

Go WAMU!
~Victor

10:11 AM  
Blogger kassy said...

but dude, WAMU is my bank that I am currently angry with, how funny!!! I knew you had to be a crack dealer living where you live :).

Oh and thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

10:56 AM  
Blogger OnlyExaggerationsAreTrue said...

hmmm. maybe we should just switch banks. you take citibank and i'll stay w WAHHHHHHMU!

too funny!

11:03 AM  
Blogger kassy said...

i'm sorry but you can keep citi, check my dec & january archives for my problems with them. i think i'll find the bank with the silliest name and switch to them.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got tired of feeling like prey to Bank of America. You know, insurance for things that will never happen, "deals" that you know other customers take because they sound so good until you read the fine print.

Finally gave up the convenience of all those brances and moved to a local bank. Four branches in my little FL coastal town.

You know, I've never been happier. I know the manager and she knows me. She goes out of her way to guarantee signatures with a smile - the local BofA branch did it grudgingly.

And when I'm in Europe and something looks wrong, I send the manager an email and it's put right.

Indian River National Bank.

Gotta' love it.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home