Thursday, December 29, 2005

 

Well Phooey

My doctor said this month that I have elevated blood pressure. Not high enough to be called high or to warrant meds, but I do need to watch my diet and exercise more. I have to try to lower my salt intake as well. This is the tricky part since I don't keep salt on the table at home, I mostly use it as a seasoner when cooking, but very lightly. This means I'll have to pay more attention to labels when grocery shopping. What really sucks is that I was looking forward to going to the dietician my doctor recommended until I found out my insurance won't pay for it, so the dietician is out. So far my internet research has discovered that not eating enough calcium and potassium can affect my kidney function which in turn affects my sodium content. I also found an eating plan called DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) which is recommended by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.

I will miss pizza, maybe if I'm really good I can have some in March or so.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

You'd be surprised how just a little bit of extra salt used in cooking can affect your blood pressure. A few years ago, when I was only 19 years old, my doctor said I had slightly higher than normal blood pressure and to cut down on the salt. Like you, I didn't use it a lot, so I just cut out the extra salt. Every year since, my blood pressure has actually been a tiny bit below normal (but still healthy).

And heaven help the doctor who tries to tell me to give up pizza.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home