Wednesday, December 07, 2005

 

Renters Insurance part 1

Here are the results of my search so far for renter's insurance, I'm trying to get all my quotes online or via email so that all the information I have is in writing:

Geico: Their online quick quote system does not ask any questions about the type of home you live in, the type of items you have, if you have burglar/fire alarms etc. The quote is based on your zip code and whether you want 10k, 20k or 30k worth of coverage. Personal Liability is 50k, deductible is $250, no earthquake insurance. Price for 30k at my zip code is $307/year

Pemco: The site has an online form with all sorts of questions about your house, alarms, your personal property etc however they do not provide a price quote online. I submitted the quote request and asked for an agent to email me. I was left a voicemail and received a calendar in the mail as a thank you for visiting their website, I haven't received an email yet.

State Farm: They have the same type of extensive questionnaire as Pemco, however they also included questions about whether you had a home business which works well for us. The lowest personal liability coverage amount is 100k, the deductible is $500, the deductible for earthquake coverage is 10% or a minimum of $250 and the agent emailed instead of calling. Price for 35k of coverage at my zip is $209.

Liberty Mutual: I'm waiting to hear back from them, I can get a discount if I go through them because they have a contract with the State of WA and I'm a state employee.


I have pretty much decided to go with State Farm because they will cover the boyfriends home business and have the earthquake coverage unless Liberty Mutual is able to provide comparable coverage at a cheaper rate. If I feel like it tomorrow, I may check out a couple more companies just to make sure I'm getting a good idea of the marketplace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Thanks for the information. It helped me to do some research for my own rental. In the end, I decided to use eRenterPlan since they were the lowest of them all.

Neo

10:51 AM  
Blogger kassy said...

Thanks for stopping by Neo, I hadn't heard of eRenterPlan before. Too bad it won't work for me since I rent a house. But I hope it works well for you.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home