Thursday, December 01, 2005

 

The Disaster that May End Well

I haven't posted for a couple of days because I've been de-stressing from Monday night when we had a fire in our kitchen. I was heating oil to fry fish, left the room for what I thought was just a sec and came back to flames up to the ceiling. Luckily the fire was contained in the pot and we managed to put it out before the fire department arrived. Since then we've been dealing with the landlord, the insurance adjuster and the cleaning crew. The end result is that we are getting a new stove, new hood, new paint job , and new floor. The downside is that this will cost us $500 (our share of the landlord's deductible) which one of us will have to borrow from a parent. However I am feeling very fortunate right now when I consider how much worse the damage could have been. And I have learned a lot from this, some of which was common sense and I feel like an idiot for causing this to happen

1. Always have a fire extinguisher (we didn't, we had to throw flour on the fire, but we have one now)
2. Install a smoke alarm in the kitchen (our is in the hall and never went off)
3. Never leave oil unattended
4. Firemen are extremely nice and deserve huge kudos for the job they do
5. Never take anything for granted, you don't know when you'll lose it

Besides the new kitchen items we are also going to get renters insurance. It was simply something I never thought about before but it'll be in place by the end of the month. I'll have a post later with some insurance company comparisons.

4 Comments:

Anonymous mbhunter said...

Glad that things are working out. It sounds like no one was hurt, either. I agree with the firemen comment -- they helped me break into my apartment when I locked my keys in and my landlord was away for a few days.

Money can replace most things, but it can't replace a life.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are OK! Can you post more about what your landlord said and did after the fire? I live in and own a 3-unit house and of course have homeowner's insurance but I carry a high deductible ($2000). I am now wondering what would happen if one of my tenants were to have this happen to them. $2000 is a lot of money for most people (including me! Though I have enough emergency savings to cover it.) and I can't see either of my tenants being able to pay that much - and I'm not sure they should. Thanks for a great blog!

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Jane Dough said...

Bummer about the fire. I am glad that it was relatively minor and no one was hurt. Luckily, I have so far managed to avoid any kitchen accidents (lucky for me the microwave is a fairly safe appliance). Renter insurance is ALWAYS a smart investment and I think I will have to add fire extinguisher to my Christmas list :)

4:00 PM  
Blogger Tiredbuthappy said...

Glad it turned out so well, Kassy.

I second the renter's insurance idea. Think about what a financial hardship it would be if you suddenly had no clothes, no furniture, no computer, no kitchen equipment....not to mention no home.

Also--I just bought a ladder to get out the window of the second floor if necessary. Now I spend a ridiculous amount of time thinking about how I'd climb down the ladder with a 2-year-old in my arms.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home