Wednesday, November 16, 2005

 

The Price of Keeping a Cat

I have a cat, Ferber, who is about 11 or 12 years old. On August 2nd this year, he decided to completely change my life by getting diagnosed with feline diabetes. For the rest of his life he has to have insulin shots twice daily and visits to the vet at least every 6 months for blood tests. After I got over the initial emotional shock, I was hit with the financial shock. Not having anticipated a sick cat, he had no health insurance (you can get it from Petco) and I had no savings and had to charge all of the vet bills. $933.93, this did not help my snowball. But I've now figured out a rough estimate of his yearly expenses and when I will need to pay them so that I am able to budget it in:

Special cat food $36/bag, lasts 3 months
Syringes $24.99 plus tax for 100, lasts 50 days
Insulin $65/bottle, lasts 6 months.

I don't know what the bi-annual check-ups will cost, but I've designated one of my savings accounts a Ferber savings account for unbudgeted expenses so that I won't have to use the credit card.

The point of this post is that when you are trying to build up an emergency fund, don't forget to include unexpected pet costs and if you can, get pet insurance before they become sick.

Helpful links:
Petco
Feline Diabetes website

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jane Dough said...

Thanks for linking to me...

I have been very tempted to adopt a cat or dog now that I have settled into my home, but the cost of pet ownership has been one of the things preventing me from taking the leap. Not only do you have to worry about large vet bills, but as you pointed out food can add up. Then there is the cost of care if you travel (as I have to) for work. Pets are wonderful, but they do impact your bottom line and they are a long term commitment.

I enjoyed your post and hope your cat's health improves.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home